April 20

April is National Poetry Month

Did you know that April is National Poetry Month? Do you have a favorite poet? I do. I especially like E. E. Cummings, Robert Frost, Emily Dickinson, Sylvia Plath, J.V. Cunningham, and Billy Collins. Who is your favorite poet? Don’t have one? This would be a great time to read some poems and find a poet you like.

Poetry is accessible to all readers. I believe that anyone can read a poem and make meaning out of it. I believe that anyone can write a poem. You have feelings. Right? You have thoughts about a matter. Right? Of course you do, you’re a teenager. Then, you can write a poem because poetry helps us to make sense of life around us. Are you in love? Write a poem about it. Are you feeling confused or lonely during this time? Write a poem about it. Share your honest feelings and thoughts on the subject.

During my 20’s, I wrote poetry in order to make sense of life on my path of self-discovery. I was bold enough to attend poetry readings and share my new poems with encouraging audiences in the Atlanta and San Francisco Bay areas. Writing a poem is a great way to capture a memorable experience to share with the world. Writing poetry is a great way to explore painful as well as joyful emotions. I encourage you to go to Poets.org to read poems for teens. Take a break, slow down, find a poem to read:

https://poets.org/poetry-teens

Writing Poems

• Writing poetry allows minds to reflect, imagine and wonder; whether that includes the telling of everyday experiences, or simply creating comical verse. There is no limit to what a poem can be ‘about’.

• Poetry is a method for self-reflection and there is more room for interpretation in poetry.

• There’s no exclusivity. Anyone can write a poem.

Reading Poems

• Many say that poetry is a language in itself, which to some extent it is; a simple verse can involve the reader’s senses, feelings and imagination.

• Poems offer a moment to pause and think, which in the modern world can be a rare yet treasured occurrence.

• Reading poetry can have the power to change the way a person sees the world and how they seem themselves.

(Bullet points from https://www.austinmacauley.com/blog/importance-poetry-national-poetry-day)

Copyright © 2018. All rights reserved.

Posted April 20, 2020 by 4jvrba in category 9th Grade Literature

About the Author

I'm an educator and writer who is passionate about sharing my love for words. Teaching a student to read and write are the best gifts I have to offer. "Education is the MOST powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." ~ Nelson Mandela.