September 1

About Your Teacher

I’m thrilled to be teaching and working with your students at Osborne High School (OHS) where I teach 9th Literature and 11th American Literature – Sheltered ESOL. I’m in my fourth year at OHS where I work and collaborate with a brilliant group of colleagues as we plan curriculum and teach your student(s).

I obtained my Masters of Arts in Teaching – Secondary English from Kennesaw State University. I have also studied at Central College, Stanford University, and University of San Francisco. I’m an educator and writer who is passionate about sharing my love for words with my students. Teaching someone to read, write, and critically think for oneself are the best gifts that I have to offer.

“Education is the MOST powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.” 

~ Nelson Mandela.

I have worked in education for 13 years in Georgia, California, and Prague, Czech Republic. I’ve been a published writer for over 20 years. While at Stanford University, I studied the genres of creative non-fiction, fiction, screenwriting, memoir, poetry, and magazine writing.

My hobbies are writing, dog training, reading, rose gardening (33 bushes), and outdoor walks/hikes. My recent articles were published in The Half Moon Bay Review, Joyce Meyer Ministries website, Inspire Faith Anthology, and Nase Rodina – a quarterly publication of the Czechoslovak Genealogical Society International.

I encourage students to be open-minded to new experiences in reading, writing, discussing literature, and speaking a new language (for some). Learning is hard work. It causes discomfort and takes much effort. Each day, I challenge my students to embrace the discomfort and do their best. Like an athlete, we have to practice reading and writing in order to improve these skills. Our brain is the most important muscle to exercise. My hope is that each student who enters my classroom will leave it transformed by the power of the words we encounter in the literature we explore, study, and discuss.

“The measure of intelligence is the ability to change.”Albert Einstein

I look forward to supporting all students and parents who use this class blog. I’ll post important class assignments, projects, study resources/supports for learning, and exam dates. Feel free to email me for any reason at:  janet.vrba@cobbk12.org

Appointments can be scheduled with me by sending an email request.

Final word … I encourage all of my students to believe in the power of their dreams. I used to daydream of living and working in the Czech Republic so that I could learn the language and experience the culture of my ancestors. I believed and dreamed it. Then it happened. Here’s one of my favorite pictures of feeding the swans at the side of River Vlatava in Prague, Czech Republic.

“The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams.” ~ Eleanor Roosevelt

Estoy muy contento de poder enseñar y trabajar con sus alumnos en Osborne High School (OHS), donde enseño Literatura 9 ° y Composición – ESOL abrigado. Estoy en mi segundo año en OHS donde trabajo y colaboro con un brillante grupo de colegas mientras planificamos el plan de estudios y enseñamos a su (s) estudiante (s). Obtuve mi Maestría en Artes en la Enseñanza – Inglés Secundario de la Universidad Estatal de Kennesaw. También estudié en el Colegio Central, la Universidad de Stanford y la Universidad de San Francisco. Soy un educador y escritor apasionado por compartir mi amor por las palabras con mis alumnos. Enseñar a alguien a leer, escribir y pensar por uno mismo son los mejores regalos que tengo para ofrecer.

“La educación es el arma MÁS poderosa que puedes usar para cambiar el mundo”. ~ Nelson Mandela.

Espero apoyar a todos los estudiantes y padres que usan este blog de clase. Publicaré tareas de clase importantes, proyectos, recursos de estudio / apoyos para el aprendizaje y fechas de exámenes. No dude en enviarme un correo electrónico por cualquier motivo a: janet.vrba@cobbk12.org

Las citas se pueden programar conmigo enviando una solicitud por correo electrónico. Tenemos un intérprete para padres / tutores que necesitan el apoyo. Comuníquese con la Sra. Consuelo Rosas – Enlace con los padres al (770) 437-5903 ext. 312.